Saturday, December 5, 2009

I Hope I Still Get My Fascinating Girl Diploma

You probably feel the same way about yourself, but I like to think I am pretty smart. Okay, maybe not smart, but I have a lot of useless and half interesting facts stuck in my head. I think this is why I enjoy a good game of Trivial Pursuit, or watching Jeopardy.

I stumbled on this section of Fascinating Girl the other day, and had a 'pause for thought' moment.

Under the Feminine Nature section it says:

"Don't compete with men in anything that requires masculine ability. Don't compete with them for scholastic honors. Don't appear to know more than a man in world events, the space program, science or industry. Don't try to excel him in any field of thought or endeavor."

So let me share a story with you. A long while ago, long before I heard of Fascinating Girl, I ended up on a double date where we played Trivial Pursuit. My date really thought he was awesome at the game, despite getting most of his questions wrong, and continued to tell me how I was "just lucky" to be getting most of my questions right. (No, we didn't go out on any subsequent dates.)

So it was my date's last question, and here is the question he got:

"Who did The Beatles call my belle in 1965?"

I laughed and my date asked me if I knew the answer. I nodded that I did. "Well, so do I." my date told me in a strange tone and proudly said, "Marilyn Monroe."

The reader turned over the card and shook her head. He had gotten the question wrong. (Here's the right answer)

My date turned to me and started to "pretend" yell at me for not giving him the correct answer. The scores were tallied and not surprisingly, our team lost, by one point. My date turned into such a poor loser, and "jokingly" blamed me for losing the game.

Even though that night was years ago, I never forgot it. I decided long ago that I wasn't going to pretend to be stupid, just to make a man look smarter. So sorry, Fascinating Girl. I think this is one tip that I don't plan on using. I'll have to find other ways to showcase my feminine nature.

0 comment(s):