Friday, January 22, 2010

Becoming A Conversational Star

Do you ever have an off week? Well, let me tell you that last week was definitely off. It wasn't until very late on Saturday night that I finally came up with something to wear. And surprisingly, I wasn't even half interested in flirting with anyone at church. (A real Fascinating Girl would) In fact I took such rushed pictures of my outfit that I can't even post the blurry mess on here. Let's just say that the dress I ended up wearing is just this dress, but in black. So I apologize for not only the lateness of this post, but also the lameness of my week.

In an effort to make amends this week, I attended a multi-ward speed dating night earlier this evening. I am by no means new to the speed dating scene. I would estimate this is fifth or sixth time that I have participated in this YSA activity.

I tarted myself up the best I could, and went to dazzle everyone with my amazing conversational skills. I took a glance at The Fascinating Girl to see what advice it offered in my accelerated dating, and came up with this gem.

"One of the most awkward feelings is when you are standing next to someone and you can't think of a single thing to say to open a conversation. The thing to do is to say something quickly. Say the first thing that flashes into your mind. It doesn't have to be dramatic, impressive or even interesting. It is not so important what you say as how quickly you say it. Don't let the moments drag on into stiff silence."

Although not one to be at a lost for words, I took this Fascinating advice, and said the first thing that popped into my mind. It made the evening so much better. Instead of repeating all night the common, where are you from, what do you do and what are your hobbies, questions. My "dates" and I had wide and often hilarious conversations.

Of course, like anything of this nature, the only thing I came home with was a sore throat from all of the talking. No numbers were exchanged and I hate to say it, but not even any meaningful relationships were half developed. But I think that I brightened a few days.

And I guess who knows, this could be the beginning of a beautiful friendship (or two).

More excitement on the way. And hopefully better pictures to come.

1 comment(s):

Leinani said...

I'm so sad I had to miss speed dating! If they do another one (which I'm sure they will) I am totally sitting by you so we can tag team, cause I never have any luck either!